The Packaging Machinery Manufacturers Institute (PMMI) is issuing a call for nominations for the Packaging Hall of Fame.
Every year since 1972, a select number of career packaging professionals have been inducted into the Packaging Hall of Fame in recognition of significant contributions made to both the industry and to packaging education efforts. Formerly coordinated by the Packaging Education Forum (PEF), the Packaging Hall of Fame has been turned over to PMMI to continue this tradition of honoring packaging leadership.
Once nominations are received, members of the Packaging Hall of Fame Commission, a group formed by PMMI, will select the inductees. The following packaging professionals will serve on the commission:
• Bruce Harte, Ph.D., professor and former director, Michigan State University School of Packaging;
• Thomas L. Schneider, president, Industrial & Shippers Supply Inc., and president of the Institute of Packaging Professionals;
• Robert Heitzman, vice president, brand development, Packaging Digest, and former chairman of the Packaging Education Forum;
• John Ratcliff, director of packaging, Nestle Purina Product Technology Center, and Steering Committee member of the Packaging Management Council;
• Bruce Hagins, general manager, equipment operations, Sealed Air Corp., and former chairman of the Packaging Education Forum;
• Mark C. Garvey, president, Garvey Corp., PMMI board member and past PMMI chairman;
• Ben Miyares, vice president, industry relations, PMMI, and former president of the Packaging Education Forum. Ben will serve as the commission's coordinator.
The Class of 2004 Packaging Hall of Fame inductees will be recognized during an awards reception at the Hyatt McCormick Hotel on November 7 during Pack Expo International 2004. The show runs from November 7-11 at McCormick Place, Chicago.
Any industry professional may nominate a candidate. Qualified nominees for the Packaging Hall of Fame should be career packaging professionals — living or deceased — who, in the course of their packaging careers:
• Have shown an active interest and involvement in expanding packaging knowledge and furthering an understanding of packaging’s contributions to society;
• Have contributed significantly to the technical, marketing or economic advancement of the packaging field;
• Have demonstrated leadership within their organizations, communities and the packaging business at large.
In order to nominate an individual, please send an e-mail to Ben Miyares at [email protected] describing, in 1,000 words or less, how he or she meets the above qualifications.
The nomination deadline is July 9, 2004.
The Packaging Machinery Manufacturers Institute (PMMI) is a trade association whose more than 500 members manufacture packaging and packaging-related converting machinery in the United States and Canada. PMMI's vision is to be the leading global resource for packaging. Its mission is to improve and promote members' abilities to meet the needs of their customers. For more information, visit www.pmmi.org.