Securing a promotion isn't always based on the actual work being done and in fact can sometimes be blocked due to adverse physical and behavioral factors.
According to a survey from CareerBuilder, provocative clothing, a disheveled appearance and unprofessional haircut are just a few of the things that cause employers to think twice before promoting them. Behaviors such as exhibiting a negative attitude, consistently arriving late or gossiping can also work against them.
The following slideshow contain the top ten physical impediments to promotions.
With regard to behavioral blockades here is the list:
- Having a negative or pessimistic attitude: 62%
- Regularly showing up to work late: 62%
- Using vulgar language: 51%
- Regularly leaving work early: 49%
- Taking too many sick days: 49%
- Gossiping: 44%
- Spending office time on personal social media accounts: 39%
- Neglecting to clean up after himself/herself: 36%
- Always initiating non-work-related conversations with co-workers: 27%
- Taking personal calls at work: 24%
- Taking smoke breaks: 19%