One Cargo Airline Suspended, Another Expands

Great Wall Airlines cargo operations into and out of the U.S. have been suspended by the U.S. Treasury Department for violating a U.S. arms embargo against Iran. Great Wall Industries reportedly has supplied Iran with components for missiles that could be used for nuclear weapons suspended by the U.S. Treasury Department for violating a U.S. arms embargo against Iran. Great Wall Industries reportedly has supplied Iran with components for missiles that could be used for nuclear weapons.

Though Great Wall Airlines is not directly linked to the alleged violations of the U.S. arms embargo and the international Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, it’s parent, Great Wall Industries, was. Great Wall Industries holds a 51% stake in the airline. The other 49% is split between Singapore International Airlines (25%) and the Singapore government’s Temasek (24%).

Great Wall Airlines operates out of Shanghai Pudong airport and serves routes to the Netherlands and India.

Elsewhere in Asia, Donghai Airlines is reported to be ready to begin charter cargo services between Shenzhen and Shanghai.

Korean Air announced second quarter results that include growth in its cargo business. Outbound shipments from Korea slowed because of the strong Korean won, but these were offset by strong demand from Southeast Asia, China and Japan.

Dragonair reported cargo volumes were down 9.3% year-on-year. For the month of July, the Hong Kong-based company reported cargo volume fell 4.9%. The airline attributes the drop to a 6.4% reduction in capacity due to maintenance work on its freighter fleet.



AirBridge Cargo also has interline agreements with El Al Cargo.

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish