The National Industrial Transportation League (NITL) has announced its support for S. 2889, the “Surface Transportation Board (STB) Reauthorization Act of 2009.” This decision was made by NITL’s board of directors after a study of the bill, which was approved by the Senate’s Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee in mid-December. The board’s action endorses the recommendation of the League’s Railroad Transportation Committee.
NITL pledges to continue its efforts to work with Congress and all interested parties in achieving the best possible bill which can be enacted this year.
In announcing its support of S. 2889, NITL noted the bill:
● Puts emphasis on protection of captive shippers;
● Improves shippers’ access to competing carriers, trackage and terminals;
● Expands STB membership and enhances staff support;
● Raises rate caps in small and medium rate cases;
● Improves the STB’s overall regulatory processes.
The NITL is an association of companies that conduct industrial and/or commercial shipping throughout the United States and internationally.