CHARLOTTE, NC – SATO America, a global leader in barcode printing, labeling and EPC/RFID solutions, today announced the introduction of its all new S84 Series OEM print engines. The new S84 Series is a new family of 4-inch wide print engines designed to be more user-friendly, more “application flexible”, and more feature-laden than ever before.
Featuring the latest generation 32-bit RISC micro-processor with superior data processing capabilities, print speeds up to 16 inches-per-second for fast label output and maximum throughput, and 16 MB of standard, on-board RAM to handle even the most data intensive label formats, the S84 Series is the ideal print-apply solution for a wide range of applications in manufacturing, logistics/transportation, automotive/machinery, and e-commerce/fulfillment.
“The S84 Series further enhances SATO’s leadership position in the automated print/apply marketplace,” said Bob Lanzendorf, SATO’s OEM sales and marketing manager. “This print engine will be the new “industry workhorse” and was designed with that challenge in mind. Unique features such as the quick-change ribbon cassette, high-throughput data processing, and improved serviceability are clearly direct benefits to end users by maximizing uptime, making it easy to maintain, and satisfying production flow requirements.”
Additional features include:
- Multiple print resolution (203 dpi, 305 dpi, or 609 dpi) – each at a full 4.09 inch print width
- First and only print engine available with field configurable print resolution on all models
- Unique tri-port, plug-in interface design – standard interface slot, advanced communications interface slot, and an external applicator interface slot – allowing for a wide variety of host communication options including IEEE-1284 Parallel, RS-232C Serial (25-Pin), RS-422/-485, Ethernet (10BaseT/100BaseTX), Wireless Ethernet (802.11g), RS-232C Serial (9-Pin), and USB.
- Large LCD display and icon-driven user interface for easier and more intuitive operation
- Extra large ribbon capacity of up to 1,000 meters
- Bi-directional ribbon capability to accommodate both coated-side-in and coated-side-out ribbons
- Ribbon saver option to reduce ribbon usage on labels with large non-printed areas
- First and only OEM print engine to offer a quick-change ribbon cassette option, allowing end users to make ribbon changes in mere seconds
- And SBPL, SATO’s industry-leading programming language
Like all SATO print engines, the all new S84 Series continues SATO’s strong history for superior serviceability. The platen roller and feed rollers are each designed for easy removal from the front side of the print engine and replaced in under five minutes…without removing the print engine from the applicator. Additionally, the unique, One-Touch printhead release makes changing printheads simple and completely tool-less.
And the S84 Series is the first family of print engines on the market designed for RFID capability from the outset. All the necessary mounting, cable routes, and space considerations have been designed into the print engines, making each print engine “RFID Ready”.
The all new S84 Series OEM print engines – continuing SATO’s strong tradition of reliability, durability, and usability, as well as its ability to offer the features and benefits in demand today by print/apply users.
SATO is a pioneer in the Automatic Identification and Data Collection (AIDC) industry and the inventor of the world’s first electronic thermal transfer barcode printer. It revolutionized the barcoding industry by introducing the Data Collection Systems (DCS) & Labeling concept – a total barcode and labeling solution providing high quality barcode printers, scanners/hand held terminals, label design software and consumables. SATO is one of the first in the industry to introduce a complete, multi-protocol EPC-compliant, UHF RFID solution.
SATO is publicly listed on the first section of Tokyo Stock Exchange in Japan. It has worldwide offices in the United States, Belgium, France, Germany, United Kingdom, Poland, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and China. For the fiscal year ended March 31, 2005, it reported revenues of US$575 million. For more information, contact SATO America at www.satoamerica.com.